Illinois Sustainable Technology Center
Prairie Research Institute
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign invites applications and nominations for the position of Director of the Illinois Sustainable Technology Center. For over 25 years, the Illinois Sustainable Technology Center (ISTC) has been a leader at both the state and the national level in promoting industrial ecology, pollution prevention, natural resource conservation, and sustainability research, education and outreach. It was established by the Illinois General Assembly and is one of the five surveys comprising the Prairie Research Institute. By integrating environmental research, technical assistance, demonstrations, and communication, ISTC acts as a catalyst to improve economic vitality, encourage efficient use and conservation of resources, and achieve a healthier, sustainable future for the people of Illinois.
The Director will lead the Center in the execution of its mission and in maintaining and enhancing its tradition of excellence.
We seek candidates with national visibility, proven leadership and managerial skills and a commitment to promoting sustainability.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide vision and leadership to the staff of ISTC to help the organization best carry out its mission, including strategic planning processes, action plans, accountability frameworks, and performance reporting systems.
- Inspire, empower, and mentor staff to achieve success and foster a culture of innovation and high level performance at both the individual and organizational level.
- Encourage organizational structures that promote quality improvement, group processes, and stakeholder involvement.
- Lead the conceptual development and delivery of organizational products and services.
- Direct and manage development of budgets, and policies and procedures related to oversight of human resources, buildings, and equipment.
- Advance the Prairie Research Institute’s mission by serving on the Institute’s management team; and promote the University’s goals of encouraging student mentorship, experiential learning, and collaboration with university faculty.
- In concert with the Prairie Research Institute leadership team, advice and counsel policymakers and elected officials at the local, state, and national level; and actively engage with public and private groups, industry, media, peer organizations, and the public on sustainability issues.
- Network with key staff from federal and state agencies, corporations, and foundations, as well as assist in attracting funding from these organizations in support of the Center’s mission.
- Build partnerships with public and private organizations to obtain and leverage the necessary resources to advance programs and services.
- Graduate degree required; PhD preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership, managerial, and supervisory ability.
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, lead, and build successful programs that enhance public good by influencing private sector activity, government policy, or social change.
- Outstanding communication, facilitation, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in grant-writing and fundraising.
- Understanding of and appreciation for sustainable technologies and practices.
The Director position is a benefits eligible, academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. Salary range is $155,000 to $165,000 annually. The expected start date is as soon as possible.
TO APPLY: This posting will remain open until filled. To apply, all candidates must submit an online profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu by the close of the posting period. Qualified candidates must upload a letter which details qualifications noted above, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references. All requested information must be submitted for the application to be considered. Incomplete information will not be reviewed.
For further information regarding application requirements, please contact Susan Key, Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For technical questions, please contact: Dr. Nandakishore Rajagopalan, Search Chair, email@example.com.
The University of Illinois is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The administration, faculty, and staff embrace diversity and are committed to attracting qualified candidates who also embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.